Frog in our apartment

Asked January 20, 2021, 11:00 AM EST

Hello, this random little guy showed up in our Manhattan apartment & I wanted to know what species of frog he was :)

New York County New York

Yikes! I think it is a Greenhouse Frog (Eleutherodactylus planirostris), a species of frog native to Cuba & the Bahamas that has been introduced to Florida and Hawaii. That is a fully grown adult. Their eggs hatch directly into froglets, there is no tadpole stage, so they are very good at colonizing new environments. This one probably hitchhiked into your apartment in or on a potted plant, with fruit or other produce from Florida, or in some other way. I suspect they cannot survive in New York's cold climate.

You can read more here: https://srelherp.uga.edu/anurans/elepla.htm

I encourage you to consider putting this observation on iNaturalist.org to create a permanent record of the find, in case others also find them. There's at least one other record from Syracuse on there.