Damaged oven

Yesterday the broiling element in my oven started to spark and flame. I turned it off, and when it cooled down I noticed that on the element there was a bulge of hard material at the spot where the fire had been. I spoke to my building manager about getting it fixed, which may take weeks, and she said I could still use the oven for baking, since that doesn't use the broiler element. I'm wondering if that's really safe. Particularly, I wonder if heating the oven could cause some kind of harmful chemical exposure from the damaged spot on the broiling element that would affect the air I breathe or the food that would be baked in the oven. I would really like to be able to continue to use the oven.
John

Multnomah County Oregon

Good evening.
Thank you for your question. I do not recommend using the oven for baking until the broiler element is fixed. The failure of the bake or broiler element will not affect the surface burners on the top of the stove and you can continue using those as normal.