Pear Tree Disease?

I have a pear tree that has had the same problem for as long as I have owned the tree. The pear tree next to it does not have the problem. It develops spots on the leaves and pears, causing deformed, blotchy fruit with black and brown spots. Last year, the disease appeared to get to the buds after pollination, causing there to be fewer fruit. I have looked online and not seen pictures quite like what this disease does. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the fruit, but I do have one of the leaves from last spring. Any help or ideas to rid the disease would be helpful. I read that it could be fungus, so every year I have promptly gotten rid of leaves and yard debris below the tree, but that hasn't seemed to help.

Clackamas County Oregon

Thank you for your question. It would appear that your tree has leaf curl, which effects both peaches and pears. It is described here: Peach (Prunus persica)-Leaf Curl | Pacific Northwest Pest Management Handbooks (pnwhandbooks.org) You can have a positive diagnosis made through the OSU Plant Clinic: | College of Agricultural Sciences | Oregon State University I would suggest contacting them in advance of submitting a sample, because timing of the sample selection is important.

If you are unable to replace your tree with a resistant variety, the chemical sprays described in the first article, when applied at the recommended times, may help stem the disease. Only those chemicals marked "H" are available to homeowners; the others must be applied by a licensed applicator.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

Thank you for your quick response. I am wondering if I have more than one thing going on? The picture I took was pretty early spring, but typically the leaves do not curl too much, and the spots on the leaves later in the season are definitely dark brown to black. The extremely distorted fruit also has large black/brown splotches. Many of the early buds and ends of the smaller branches turn black and kind of crumble off. Could all of this be explained by leaf curl? Thanks again.

Your tree may have more than one disease, but the Lab cannot diagnose it/them without examination of the tissue and/or fruit while it is actually happening. If you don't have clear photos of the fruit, it makes the job even more difficult. Please wait until symptoms return and contact the lab then.