Getting rid of arum italianate

Are there any ways to get rid of arum italianate? Someone who lived in my house before I moved in must have liked it because it is growing thickly in several places. How can I get rid of it?

Linn County Oregon

Greetings,

Though it's not on state invasive species lists as of this writing, this plant is basically an invasive species in gardens, farms and nature. All parts of the plant are toxic and it is very hard to eliminate once it is established.

I have dealt with this species as an ecological restoration technician and it is a challenge. Your best approach really depends on how much of it you have, with the caveat that once it is established most methods of getting rid of it will just set it back at best. If using manual methods keep in mind that the sap is toxic and protect your skin with rubberized gloves. Eye protection is also recommended.

If you have it in a fairly small area (a few plants), I would advise digging it up and disposing of the bulbs and nearby soil bagged in the trash--not in your compost or yard waste bin. Repeat as new plants emerge from the small bulbs that may be left behind. Pinch off and dispose of any flowers that form from reemergent plants.

If the arum is located across a larger area, herbicides are an option but even in strong formulations will mostly just set it back rather than kill it, due to its thick waxy leaves and multitude of bulbs. In most cases I would advise a home gardener to first try digging up small populations.

Here are some resources that might be helpful:

http://extension.wsu.edu/sanjuan/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2014/04/Italian-Arum-brochure.pdf

www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/article/433196

Thank you - I guess! :) It seems like it is going to be quite a job to get rid of it and I may never succeed. I appreciate the response.

Sometimes containment is a more achievable goal than total removal. If you have quite a bit of it, I would suggest working on the edges of the patch to try and prevent spread. Clipping the flowers and fruits off and disposing of them in the trash can also help.