Pressure canner

Presto is selling an electric pressure canner which says "The first digital pressure canner that meets USDA home canning guidelines for safely processing meats, poultry, fish, vegetables, and other low acid foods." The only information I can find online is a couple of years old and none recommend electric pressure canners. I assume that Presto is a reputable company however I have heard that this canner has a false logo on the box. Do you know if this canner (Presto Precise Digital Pressure Canner) is safe to use to can meats?

Thank you.

Washington County Oregon

Tnanks for contacting Ask an Expert.

Presto is a reputable company, but their marketing for this product is a bit misleading. While the company says their product "meets USDA home canning guidelines," the USDA National Center for Home Food Preservation (NCHFP) has not completed testing of this new product.

The "USDA with a check" logo the the company was using on the box last spring is not from the USDA. I don't know if they have taken actions to remove it.

Oregon State University Extension is waiting for the test results before we can change our recommendation. This could take some time as processed jars may need to sit on the shelf for 1 to 2 years so they can be tested for safety. Until then, we still do not recommend any models of electric pressure canners for pressure canning or water bath canning.