Star Jasmine

I am interested in planting star Jasmine in an area against a fence in an area that is protected from deep freeze. I am anxious to plant it. I live in Marion County (Salem). When is it advisable to plant it? Besides digging a hole what other advice to start the plant? Fertilizer?

Marion County Oregon

Thank you for your question. The best time to plant woody plants is fall, once the rains have begun, but before the soil freezes. We've had a mild winter in the valley, so the soil may still be workable in your area. Dig a hole twice as wide as the root ball, and the same depth as the container. Water both the potting soil and the hole well. Gently separate the roots, or prune them 1-2 inches (they will regrow into surrounding soil). Replace soil you dug out around the root ball, and water it all again. Do not step on replaced soil. You will need to keep the rootball wet unless you have regular rainfall. You can add 1-2 inches of compost, which will, as it further decomposes, add nutrients to the soil. You can add commercial fertilizer once you see new foliage, or if you observe yellow leaves, but that is unlikely. If you decide to mulch the area around the plant, use large bark chips and have no more than 3-4 inches, so they will protect the roots, but will not impede water. Here is more information on this species: https://landscapeplants.oregonstate.edu/plants/trachelospermum-jasminoides I hope this is helpful. Good luck!