Market garden/roadside farm stand

Asked December 29, 2020, 5:55 PM EST

I bought a 2.5 acre property and plan to grow fruit/veg on about half an acre to start. I've been trying to make sure I understand the laws, licensing, insurance, etc. It seems like there aren't many requirements if it's just direct sales to customers, with no processing of the food items. If I wanted to put up a farmstand at the front of my property, is there some process I need to go through? It seems like I don't need much other than to register my business, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

Any help in that regard would be much appreciated. I'm in McMinnville, but just outside the Urban Growth Boundary, so I deal with the County, not the City of McMinnville (in case that's relevant). Our property is zoned EF-80, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

Yamhill County Oregon

3 Responses

Thank you for your question. This area is regulated by the Oregon Department of Agriculture, and the general overview is on their webpage found here: The Yamhill County zoning regulations for this zone, regarding farmstands, is found here: Beyond pointing you to applicable laws, we are unable to render legal advice, and if you have any questions about their applicability or interpretation, we suggest you contact their offices. Good luck!

Thanks! I'd found the ODA info on my own, but hadn't found anything specific to Yamhill County.

Just to make sure these ordinances are current, I'd suggest contacting the county. They may require an inspection before sales are begun.