Weevil

Asked December 26, 2020, 11:36 AM EST

Is it safe to eat food that I found a weevil in?

Lane County Oregon

If there are only a few you can just remove them and enjoy the food. If there is just one there probably will probably be more so check your cupboards and if you have any grain products, cereal, dried fruits as well as pet and bird food put them in your freezer for a few days to kill the eggs so more won't hatch and then store in air tight containers with tight fitting lids.

Here is the recommendation from a hand out we have that might help.

Infested packages can be discarded, or heated for ½ hour at 140ºF, or placed in a freezer for three or four days at 0ºF or below to kill eggs, larvae, pupae and adults. Packages should be isolated in canisters with tight lids or placed in glass or plastic jars with lids until the insects are gone. However, it is a good idea to store food in sealed containers at all times.

Pantry pest are very common. They often come in purchased foods. I always store my bird seed and pet food in closed containers in the garage. When I buy bulk foods I put them in the freezer for a few days before putting them in canasters in the house. Check all your containers in your pantry and if you see more evidence. Clean the pantry well especially the cracks and crevices'.

If you need more information let me know. We have a handout on pantry pest but I can't seem to be able to download it tonight.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler