Fruits & Nuts in the Silver Falls area

Hi,

We bought some land about 2 miles north of Silver Falls State Park on Hwy 214 & would like to plant a small fruit/nut/berry orchard, but we're total amateurs! While we haven't had any soil testing done, it feels nice and spongy under the feet. We're at an altitude of 1500 - 1800 ft, depending on location on the property), and have mostly a level to south & SE facing aspect land, with plenty of water to be had, even for irrigation for a few years if need be to get everything started out well.

We would like to plant a wide variety of fruits, nuts & berries, and also have varieties that ripen at different times to spread our harvest out as far as possible over the year. We found a chart for California with info about this (which fruits/cultivars ripen when, etc) but wonder if you have one for our area? Fruits & nuts we love include: apples, plums, pears, peaches, figs, cherries, walnuts, chestnuts, hazelnuts, oaks (for acorns for pigs and possibly flour!), blue berries, thornless black berries, raspberries, strawberries, etc.

We have so many questions, like: what are the best root stocks as well as cultivars for our area? When is the best time to plant? Is there a source for much smaller trees so that we can afford to buy and plant more tree, even though that could mean we'll lose more?

Any and all information or resources you can provide us would be most gratefully appreciated!

Oz & Carole

Marion County Oregon

Are you planning the orchard for home use or a a small commercial venture to sell the fruit and nuts? Either way, I think it would be best if you contacted directly at my email address as there is a lot more to discuss than would be possible in an AAE response! My email address is neil.bell@oregonstate.edu. I look forward to hearing from you!

It's complicated...kind of a cross between the two! So thank you for your e-mail address. We'll be be contacting you after we meet with our land planner consultant that will be helping us decide the whole layout of the property. Many thanks Neil.

Oz & Carole

Okay, sounds good. We have a small (apple, pear, plum) home orchard that is now 25 years old and bears well. I can share that experience with you plus there are some really good fundamental resources for you.