low maintenance turf

Asked November 20, 2020, 10:49 AM EST

I am interested in preparing a large tract of land (1-2 acres) to plant a low maintenance turf such as recommended by Tom Cook. We are in the Deschutes River Woods neighborhood and the soil is sandy with lots of "cheat grass". How can I prepare the soil to plant a low maintenance turf such as Tom Cook recommends such as the Pro Time Lawn Seed mix? Is there a way to kill the seeds of the cheat grass such as covering to heat destroy them? Also can you recommend a soil enrichment mix? Thanks much for any recommendations.

Deschutes County Oregon

you should apply a non-selective herbicide like Round-Up or Finale. I would make an application in the spring and second application 2 weeks later to kill as much as the established weeds as possible. You can then seed into this area 2 or 3 days after the second application. Considering you environment I would use tall fescue or Kentucky bluegrass in your mixture. Attached is a recent video on establishing and maintaining Eco-Lawns according to Tom Cook...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef-qRLlNvZo

Herbicides kill weeds as they germinate in the spring, or after they have established. Herbicides will not kill weed seeds if they are dormant.
You can kill weed seeds with fumigants, like methyl bromide, but I don't believe fumigants are registered for use in Oregon.

Alec