Pressure canner check

Asked November 18, 2020, 12:59 PM EST

I have an old pressure canner that needs the seal replaced and gauge check. I’m in clackamas county. Where can I do this?

Clackamas County Oregon

1 Response

Pressure canner gauge testing is available at some County Extension Service offices, where a safety risk management plan has been implemented. Clackamas is doing gauge testing by appointment only to maintain safety/risk considerations for both customer and employee. Please call the Clackamas County Extension office to make an appointment (503) 655-8631.

If you need to get your gauge tested, but are uncomfortable coming to the OSU Extension Service office, the Family & Community Health Program recommends that you convert your dial gauge canner to a weighted gauge canner, as weighted gauge canners do not require testing. If you own a Presto pressure canner, you can purchase a 3-piece weighted gauge from a store that offers canning equipment. If you own an All American canner, you can purchase a conversion kit online. For more information about pressure canners, consult the publication “Using and Caring for your Pressure Canner:”

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.