Tree Damage

Hi, I have a Maple tree in my backyard and it looks like the trunk has some damage or might be starting to rot by the ground. Is there some type of sealant or something I can put on it to help protect it? Thanks, Martin

Jefferson County Kentucky

Hi! Wounds on trees "heal" or compartmentalize internally, on their own. When we seal or try to bandage the wound we can do more harm than good. The University of Kentucky suggests that you DO NOT seal wounds.

The photo shows the area clearly and I believe the wounds look worse than they actually are. Of course a wound can introduce fungal, bacterial or insect invasion so you will want to watch the area. If you see the wounds enlarge or start to girdle the entire trunk, you may choose to consult a certified arborist who can evaluate the tree on site. we do not have the personnel in such a highly populated county to visit personal property.

This is the information UK has on tree wounds: https://plantpathology.ca.uky.edu/files/ppfs-or-w-01.pdf

Feel free to contact our office if you have other questions.

Let me know if I can help you further!

Carol Wilder
Horticulture Technician
Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Service
Email: carol.wilder@uky.edu

502-569-2344
4200 Gardiner View Avenue

Louisville KY 40213