Green applesauce.

Asked November 4, 2020, 8:01 AM EST

I made a small batch of homemade applesauce, for immediate consumption. It was tinged green, for no apparent reason. The raw apples were not green in any way. I added a very small amount of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, sugar, and molasses. The color change was not immediate nor was it an observable “process.” But upon serving, the applesauce had an unpalatable gray/green tinge. I’m concerned that the cookware could be the culprit. It is supposedly stainless steel of good quality. Can you comment on like cause of this color change? Thank you

Allegan County Michigan

If you were confident that the cookware was not copper, aluminum, cast iron, brass or not made for food, the color was likely due to the different spices and sugars that were added. If the color of the apples when being prepared and first cooked,looked pale yellow, I am sure it was the added ingredients that changed the color. Please let me know if you have further concerns, you can call our food safety hotline at 877-643-9882