I think I may have a hammerhead worm problem in my home.

I've known for several months I've had an infestation on my lawn, shrubs, and air handler of my heat pump. Ive tried to scale them back with orange oil, vinegar, and salt with no real gains. Recently they've laid claim to my shop and screened porch on the rear of my home. I swear it seems like they're in my furniture and somehow under the carpets. Everyone around me says I'm loosing my mind and I've become the butt of all the family jokes. Soo much so, it's to the point a visiting relative had a cake made with small rubber snakes with my name on it. I know they're not supposed to be harmful to humans and pets, but something very real is stinging my feet through the carpets and furniture. My poor cat is being terrorized as well. I'm legally blind on my right side and my left eye barely affords a driver's license. I just don't understand how I'm the only one seeing these things and being stung to the point of major swelling. Today I was cleaning under my bathroom vanity of my bedroom and discovered a small hole leading into the wall. When I returned with a patch and some caulk I found this weird looking one staring at me, So I grabbed a picture of him. He looked nothing like the others I've seen on my night vision cams or frolicking in the early morning hours around the house. No one else sees anything in the picture and I'm seriously doubting my own sanity. Please take a second and see if you know what type he is or could be. Could he be the critter driving me to the brink of disaster? No one else in the home is seeing anything at all, or being stung. Only myself and the cats. i know I've got small, round, vertical, holes with tiny dirt mounds, in a grid pattern every twelve inches across an acre of land. There's something digging at night here for sure...

Thanks for your time,
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ted

Lenoir County North Carolina

Hello Ted.

I am sorry to hear that you are having these issues. I am curious- would be able to send some photos and/or specimens to the Plant Insect Clinic? Please follow this link for instructions: https://pdic.ces.ncsu.edu/how-to-submit/.

I do know that hammerhead worms cannot survive long indoors. They need an environment with very high humidity. Additionally, I do not think they are responsible for the uniform holes you are seeing in the yard. We can try to assess what else might be going on once you send some samples and photos of the environment and any specimens you've seen. Thank you so much for reaching out and hopefully we can solve the issue ASAP.