I have a 12-14 year old Gravenstein tree that appears to have developed a...

I have a 12-14 year old Gravenstein tree that appears to have developed a sport limb with apples that have developed in mid-October, and with an entirely different appearance than the Gravenstein apples that mature in July-August. These new apples would likely be mature in mid-November if they survive the colder weather. Is there a Department of the University interested in exploring a possible new variety of apple? Anne Sheldon

Lane County Oregon

Hi Anne,

That is really a neat phenomenon to witness. We would potentially like a scion or two to play with and we will be doing some grafting later this winter. Thank you for the offer.

Hi Nik, would someone be interested in visiting my property to do the cutting of the scion at the appropriate time? I know nothing about how to do it.

Anne Sheldon

Hi Anne, Yes please flag the branch and note if leaves look any different. Also would be good to take some photos of the fruit including cross sections and save some for us if possible. Please contact email so we can arrange to meet nik.wiman@oregonstate.edu