Numerous holes being created in my yard

For the past 4-5 years I have noticed during this time of the year holes that look like either something is erupting from my yard or as if some animal with a narrow snout is creating these holes but most of about the same diameter though some are larger. I can not figure out what it is and the folks from New Garden Select do not have an answer either. I have included a number of photo that I took this morning and was hoping you could provide an answer and solution to this issue as the yard with new seed growing is not doing well.

Guilford County North Carolina

There are many things that can cause holes in the lawn, although, it happening at this time of year eliminates some of them. Most of the ground dwelling insects occur during the spring and summer, so that rules them out, which leaves wildlife. Skunks, squirrels and racoons are the ones that comes to mind. Skunks and racoons will cause damage overnight since they are nocturnal. Here is some information about holes in the lawn from Clemson University: https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/holes-in-the-lawn/