Weeds taking over my backyard

My husband and I just moved to Mount Rainier, MD in May, and we love it! We are first-time homeowners, we used to live in an apt, and now we have a huge backyard. No complaints, but we are still learning a lot.
When we moved to the house, the grass had patches, and we put a lot of effort to grow grass, fertilizer, cut the grass every couple of weeks or so, see before (April) and after photos (August). However, in the last month or so, we noticed that the weed is taking over the grass. Not sure what to do. Any recommendation and insights are appreciated. Thank you.

Prince George's County Maryland

This is a weed known as creeping Charlie or ground ivy--it is a foreign weed classified as non-native and invasive. (Your lawn looks great, incidentally!) You'll want to address it ASAP.

Here's info about ground ivy: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/ground-ivy If it is too extensive to hand dig, use the herbicide recommended right away. Two applications spaced a couple of weeks apart may be necessary. This is a good time of year to get the most efficient use out of a "systemic" herbicide--which goes down into the root system of a perennial weed. In the fall, plants are moving resources down into their roots to store over the winter, and they will translocate the herbicide most efficiently to roots then.

Our website is a treasure trove of resources about lawn care. I hope you will take the time to explore it and it's many topics about lawns, as well as all about vegetables, fruit, and ornamental plants.

Ellen