There are little divots in my yard

What are these little divots from!?
I have noticed a few times this fall that there are numerous little "holes" in the dirt in various parts of the yard. I've only been in the house a few months, and am still familiarizing myself with the flora and fauna in the yard.
One picture attached is underneath a large evergreen tree (I think it's a fir). The other photo is in an open space that will be used for a vegetable/victory garden in the spring, and I think was used similarly in the past.
The holes are about .5 in deep, conical, and don't look to have an additional hole in the bottom. When I first noticed, I thought maybe something was being dropped, but the soil is not so soft to evenly disperse as it has and there is nothing noticeable in the bottom.

Denver County Colorado

This is just a guess but it is possibly from an insect burrowing into the ground. Please see this fact sheet for more information: https://naturalresources.extension.iastate.edu/wildlife/diagnosing-holes-yard