Autumn joy sedum

I think my autumn sedum has an insect. Tiny black dots all over stems and leaves. There was a big web at the base of the stems. I just cut them back for fall but want to make sure they’re ok for the spring. Any suggestions of shag it is or what to do?

Erie County New York

Sedums like bright sunny well-drained conditions, so very little watering is needed. Overwatering and over wet conditions can cause fungal problems, such as spots. Hopefully, by next year this will not be a problem with sunny dry conditions. You can also trim plants back middle of the growing season in early summer, so the plants will not be too leggy in fall.

Hope this is helpful.

It’s been a very dry summer here so I’m not sure that’s the problem. How can you explain the webbing I at the base of all the stems? That’s why I thought it was an insect.

Yes, dry hot summers can attract spider mites, now with webbing that could be the problem. There are many species of mites. Stressed plants can and do attract problems like mites, so water well deeply in such dry weather. Some people use sprays like Neem oil, but I do not, since it will kill beneficials insects and bees in a garden. Water spraying early in the day can help remove mites (maybe those are baby mites btw). You can use an Insecticidal soap spray (Safer's), just read the label instructions.

Hope this helps.

I have cut them back for the winter so will I need to spray them in the spring?

If you check early in the spring, or summer, you can do the water hose spray, or apply the soap spray.