I cut off the top of my honey locust tree because it was damaged...

My honey locust tree died at the top of the main trunk of the tree, possibly due to the May 20, 2019 snowstorm. About 2/3 of the tree is still thriving. I gave it a year and this past summer to see if it would grow back and several of the branches did grow leaves this summer.

Today, Oct. 11, I just pruned the dead branches off, which included the top of the main trunk. The second main branch is doing fine and the main trunk has branches that grew from it on the lower part of the leafy section of the tree this summer that have leaves.

Was it harmful to cut off the dead section? Is there something I should do to protect the tree from harm where I cut it off? Aside from looking unbalanced, it seems healthy.

Adams County Colorado

Hello, thanks for your inquiry regarding your tree. Sorry for the delay in response.

It would be really helpful if we had pictures to help guide our answer to your question. If you could send a couple of pics, one of relatively closeup and one further away with the whole tree in the landscape. It's hard to make suggestions with just the description of the problem.

We would be very happy to help you determine if the tree is salvageable upon receipt of the pictures. We look forward to hearing from you soon.