Wild Cherry and Nigerian Dwarf kids

Asked October 9, 2020, 11:29 AM EDT

My ND goats keep eating a few of the falling leaves from a wild cherry tree. They are 6 and 7 months old. How many leaves will it take to poison them? They don't eat but 5 or 6 leaves each day.

Buncombe County North Carolina

5 Responses

below is some information I can provide in response to your question. if you need further assistance please contact Noah_Henson@ncsu.edu

Leaves from the cherry tree will be most toxic when they have wilted. If the tree has recently fallen and the leaves are wilting due to the broken trunk or branches, they may be toxic. Leaves that have dried and the bark of the tree should not be toxic to goats. Green leaves are also not toxic. Goats can also tolerate more of the toxins in the cherry leaves than other animals; however, with smaller animals you have to be careful especially if they are hungry as they might consume a good deal compared to their body weight.

Thank you so much. How about the ones that have changed color and are on the ground? My Nigerian Dwarfs keep eating the yellow ones.

According to the literature if they have turned color they are OK.. it's when they are wilted that poses the problem.

Thank you again.