Bitter lettuce

Hello, I have the most beautiful lettuce and many different varieties, but the lettuce is so bitter, it is inedible... The same thing happened in the spring. So, I tried many other varieties, but still, the same problem. I don’t think it is a water issue given there has been a lot rain. I googled it and I didn’t see many good answers honestly. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks! Kim

Prince George's County Maryland

It is possible the plants may be overly mature. Bittering compounds increase in the plant tissue as the plant gets ready to bolt- produce a seedstalk. Plant stressors, such as high temperatures, drought, and crowding can also cause bitterness.
Slow-bolting or heat-resistant varieties (e.g., oak-leaf types) are available and are recommended for extending the lettuce-growing season.

Dates to harvest and length of harvest is very dependent on weather, plant care, spacing, etc. Here is our page on lettuce for more information. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/lettuce

Marian