Old Bull Pine tree

Greetings, I have a very large old pine about 15 feet from the NE corner of my small one story house in Kill Devil Hills. About six years ago I had a professional prune a huge branch that was growing high over the roof. It seems healthy except for some branches that appear to have Irregular bark on the undersides. The base of the trunk is almost 120” around and the ground surrounding it is higher, sort of rising around. About 15-20 feet up it splits into two large trunks towering over every other tree in the area. It appears to be healthy however I feel like two branches have browning needles so I wonder if more pruning would be okay. How long is the usual life span of the pine? There are other pines in the area and I am a fan of a TED Talk called ‘How Trees Talk to Each Other’ so if you haven’t seen it, I recommend it, and also would appreciate your opinion of my old pine as it pertains to pruning. Without surveying my property line, I believe half this tree is my neighbors. He isn’t very particular about his landscaping, but I intend to share what I learn with him. Thank you, Kathy Jorgensen 1723 Apache St Kill Devil Hills NC. 27948 336-512-0097

Dare County North Carolina

The Dare County Office is not staffed to answer questions in Ask an Expert at the moment, but they welcome questions at their county center office.

You may reach Greenline, their Extension Master Gardener Volunteer group, by emailing your question to greenlineobx@gmail.com. Or you may call 252-473-4290 to reach the Dare County Extension office, or visit the office in Manteo at 517 Budleigh Street between 8:30 to 5:00.