Thanksgiving cactus segments yellowing

This Thanksgiving cactus is five or six years old, grown from a cutting. I noticed that segments on some of the branches started yellowing around the edges. I also own other Thanksgiving cactuses and none of them have ever done this.

I researched this online first and couldn’t find an answer.

Thank you.

Harnett County North Carolina

Hello and thank you for your question!

Sometimes yellowing can be the result of too much sunlight. In their natural environment, holiday cacti usually hang out in dappled shade/indirect light.

Additionally, answering these questions can help pinpoint the problem:

• Where is the plant kept? In how much light? Next to a heater, another object, etc?
  • How often has this plant been fertilized? What kind of fertilizer?
  • How often is the plant watered?
  • Have you noticed any damage to the plant?
  • Are the leaves firm and healthy?
  • Do the roots show any signs of disease, decay, etc.?
Hopefully, we can figure this out soon!

Hi Selena,
It’s great to hear from you again.

1. April through October, it’s kept on my back porch next to my peace lily and other Thanksgiving cactuses and they get morning sun. No heat source is near there.
2. I have used a 1-1-1 plant food every few weeks, but was told by a member of my online gardening group who worked in a nursery for 14 years that holiday cactuses shouldn’t be given any fertilizer. Hmm.
3. I only water when the soil is dry to the touch.
4. I haven’t noticed any damage.
5. The leaves are firm, healthy, and buds are forming (because of the weeks of cool weather and nights). Yay!
6. I haven’t inspected the roots yet.