English Ivy root removal, erosion control and plant suggestions

In the rear of my home I have a 65' x 12' area on a 30ish degree slope that was fully covered with a thick forest of English Ivy. I have killed most of the ivy with roundup, shaved the ivy with a hedge trimmer and am now hand pulling the roots (ouch). The roots appear to be dead, but hand pulling is tough work. Any shortcuts you might suggest? I am also concerned about erosion control and am considering a Jute blanket overlaying a weed cloth. Are these steps appropriate? Any suggestion on replanting? My property is located in Fort Bragg, CA and is situated in a mobile home park about a quarter mile from the ocean. Thanks for any help/suggestions you can provide.

Mendocino County California

Thank you for your question. We suggest that you contact your own county Extension service for advice on these issues, where staff are familiar with local conditions and requirements. Here is their webpage: http://cemendocino.ucanr.edu/contact/ Good luck!