Porous clay soil amendment

Hi, I have bought some porous clay soil amendment. I plan to backfill aeration holes in my lawn. Is this a good idea? Would I want to mix some in with a garden bed of thick clay? I’m wanting to plant in it sooner than organic soil building would allow for. Thank you so much!

Washington County Oregon

What is the reason you believe you are wanting to put this in the aerification holes of your turf? Depending on your soil structure and analysis it could be detrimental. Can you share a photo of the bag of material you are wanting to use?

Hii John,

Thank you for your response. I have attached an image. It was recommended by the company I got my eco-turf lawn seed from. I have already had the lawn aerated, but haven't backfilled yet, so I may have done some damage, but maybe not too bad? The soil has no porosity. If I dig a hole two feet deep and one foot in diameter and put water in it, it takes more than an hour to drain.

Thanks!

Thanks for the photo. Yeah this is the product that immediately popped into my head when you mentioned it. While this has its place it is not what you need based on what you are explaining to me. You have a water draining problem and not a water retention problem. This product is great for water retention so it could exacerbate your problem. Compost would be a better solution to your problem. Spreading compost can be a little more labor intensive, but the benefits are significant. Compost stands out in its benefits in the areas of creating more macro pores for water infiltration, improved root growth and soil aggregation. The biggest thing with choosing the correct compost is the salt content. Check the analysis of the compost to make sure the salt content less than 10 mmhos/cm for total salt content. A light topdressing of the turf with the appropriate compost can do wonders. 0.25-0.5 inches will be sufficient. Spread and work the compost as so that it falls down through the canopy, and enters your aerification holes. If you have more questions feel free to reach out.
-JE