Serviceberry with split bark on one branch, what to do????

Hello, We have a two year old Serviceberry tree/shrub that I noticed now has one branch with slit like cuts in the bark throughout one branch. Tree was obtained from a local nursery in June 2018 and seemed to have been doing wonderfully. We planted it as a memorial to our Border Collie that passed and REALLY want it to flourish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think I've taken photos of the various views that were requested. (I contacted the nursery a couple days ago but haven't heard back from them at this point.) Many thanks!!

Howard County Maryland

We can't say from the photos why the branch has splits. Could be frost cracks from last spring.

Do not do anything now to the branch. It seems to still have leaves. See how it looks next spring. If it dies, prune it off.

Right now, be sure the tree is getting well watered during dry spells--spring through fall. This should be done for at least 2 years for a new trees. Rain or watering should equal 1" of water a week. Do a deep watering when you do it. Do not let your tree go into the winter in dry soil--that is deadly.

Ellen

Thanks, Ellen! We'll wait to do anything to the branch and will keep the tree well watered. We did give it a couple gallons of water several times this year, when we hadn't received much rainfall, and will continue.

Barb