Weed problem

I have these picker weeds that just showed up this summer. I have lived here 50 years and have never seen these. I can not get them under control and need to know if there’s something that can get rid of them?

Genesee County Michigan

You have Canada Thistle (Cirsium arvense). More info in this weed ID app from MSU: http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/canada_thistle_18/

Canada thistle is typically labeled difficult-to-control. Applications of 2,4-D, MCPP and dicamba will not usually provide acceptable control of Canada thistle. Triclopyr and clopyralid used alone or in combination with each other or phenoxy herbicides provides the best results in the trials at MSU. Fluroxypyr, the replacement for clopyralid in many pre-mix combinations, does not have activity on bull thistle. Primary application timing should be targeted for early-fall. Multiple applications (28-day interval) may be necessary.

You might also consider using a weed killer containing glyphosate, but remember glyphosate is a non-selective herbicide and will kill any plant it contacts. Check with your local nursery for products containing these herbicides to kill Canada thistle.

Disclaimer: Always read, understand, and follow the label directions. Mention or exclusion of specific products does not represent an endorsement or condemnation of any product by Michigan State University.