Helping a maple tree

Hello! I have a beautiful maple in my yard, it is probably 30' tall. We recently removed a large (probably 60 year old) oak tree that was10' away from the maple that had been slowly dying and did not put on leaves this year. I suspect that the oak has effected the maple, because the maple just did not put on many leaves this year and is very thin/leggy looking. Is there anything we can do to bring some life back to the maple this winter? Fertilize or any other ideas? We would hate to lose the oak then the maple so any ideas are most appreciated. Thank you!

Buncombe County North Carolina

Below is a link to a website managed by the International Society of Arboriculture. There are some great publications for tree owners. Be sure to check on the section on Caring for Mature Trees. Mulching is ideal. Pruning to remove deadwood is helpful. Adding compost or organic material before mulching will help as well.

https://www.treesaregood.org/treeowner