Bees

I was pulling up some dried grass in my garden, and got stung by a bee. I went back the next day, and got stung again. It was then I realized that there are bees who are living either in the ground or under the the dried grass and an oregano plant. There is a constant parade of bees going in and out. They are small and cylindrical rather than the usual bee shape. There are some sunflowers nearby, and they buzz around them, but never see them land. They move fast. I don't want to kill them, just want to know what they are and get them to nest somewhere else. I've thought about getting a photo, but they move too fast. Also after getting stung twice, and once with a reaction to the sting, I want to avoid having that happen again.

Multnomah County Oregon

Thank you for your question. About 2/3 of native bees live underground. Most of them are not aggressive. Wasps, on the other hand, also live underground, and are more aggressive. This includes 'yellow jackets.'. It may be difficult to take a photo of your insect (it may require you to sit quietly nearby), but we need it to know what you have. Challenging, but needed for us to help! Thank you!