Tree diseases

Is there someone I might contact regarding the health of the trees in my yard? I put additional dirt on my property in 2019 to help mitigate drainage issues, and that may have caused the trees to suffocate. However, there are other trees in the surrounding area outside of my yard that did not receive dirt around their base and they also did not leaf out last spring and also appear to be dying. Before taking the trees down I’d like to be certain that disease is not the issue and would like the advice of a certified arborist before contacting a tree removal company or someone who may not have the skills and scientific background necessary to accurately diagnose the problem.

Worcester County Maryland

If you can provide photos of the trees and planting site, we may be able to assist you. Also, can you tell us how much additional soil was applied to the root area to correct the drainage problems? Are the trees that did not leaf out last spring located in areas that were previously saturated? Some trees are intolerant of consistently wet soils and roots can be injured as a result (leading to eventual dieback). So, it may not be a disease issue but rather the characteristics of the planting site, how the trees were planted, environmental factors (too wet or too dry from droughts).

Here is our information about the impact of soil grade changes on plants.
https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/grade-changes

If you would like to consult with a certified arborist, you can locate one near you using this website from the International Society of Arboriculture, https://www.treesaregood.org/.

Christa

Thank you, Christa, for getting back to me. I appreciate the information on locating an arborist...lots of contact information available on the internet for folks nearby who can take down a tree but it's difficult finding someone with the skills and education who can comment on the health of a tree. Much appreciated...

John Trumpower