caterpillar eating my plants

The little guy is about an inch long and is hatched in a web. The larger webs stretch over large areas of the infected plants with the caterpillars inside either a folded leaf surrounded by web or just a role of web itself. They are exfoliating both viburnum and aster. I don't want to use pesticides in my garden. What is this and how can I get rid of it?

Lane County Oregon

This is one of the webworms, probably fall webworm. They can be hand-picked, take a stick to destroy the webs as much as possible without damaging the plants. That makes them visible to the birds. There is a biological spray, Bacillus thurdengiensis, which is generally available in nurseries. Of course, follow the directions exactly.

Thank you so much Pat. I feel lucky to live in a community with this helpful excellent resource.

Most grateful,
kate

You are most welcome. Wasn't last night's rain terrific! I did my rain dance when it came about 2 am.