Changes in Maple tree color.

In the past, my maple turned a variety of golds, yellows and oranges in the fall. The same tree this season has taken on a bright red look. I know its still early fall and some leaves have yet to turn, but prior to turning red, it had a different look to some leaves as if they were dying and turning brownish. Just curious. Other than the color difference, the tree appears healthy. I should explain I have two identical trees. The other maple is orange looking as always. Both trees are approximately 15 years old.

Anoka County Minnesota

We’ve experienced unusual weather this past year, which may be the cause of the changing color of your maple tree leaves. Temperatures dropped to the mid-thirties last week, which helped produce red pigments in the leaves. If your tree and leaves otherwise look healthy, then weather may be the culprit.

Here is an excellent article that explains why different trees turn different colors.

https://myperfectplants.com/2019/08/09/why-arent-my-maple-tree-leaves-turning-red-in-fall