Should I water my trees?

Hi M.G. I live in SW Portland off a drainage creek. Soil would be (under normal circumstances) not bone dry clay w sm rocks. I have several trees: weeping willow, paper birch, big leaf maple, blue ceanothus. This time of year leaves should be turning, but the birch looks very sad. It's 5 or 6 yrs and maybe 30 ft tall, 15 ft wide. Do you think I should water or is it too late? Should I wait for rain, but water in Feb if we have a dry winter? Any thoughts? And is it bad news if the weeping willow is 15 ft x 15 ft and 10 ft away? Root/water conflict? Until this year all was well. Thanks for any advise. Sincerely Murphy Terrell

Multnomah County Oregon

Thank you for your question, Murphy. Welcome to the "new normal!" Here is an excellent Colorado Extension article on the topic which is equally applicable to our plants in Oregon: https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/fall-and-winter-watering-7-211/

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!