Effect on Vegetable gardens by forest fires polutants
I live in central oregon and our air quality for the last few days has been the worst in the nation. I am wondering if this has contaminated my beans, squash and tomoates.
Jefferson County Oregon
See "Take precautions when wildfire ash falls on fruits and vegetables" in which the essential points are as follows:
- Avoid going outside to harvest while smoke lingers.
- Rinse vegetables twice, once outdoors and again in the kitchen sink.
- For a more thorough cleaning, soak vegetables and fruits in a 10% white vinegar solution (one teaspoon vinegar to three cups water).
- Peel produce such as tomatoes, apples and root crops.
- Strip the outer leaves of lettuces and other greens before harvest.