Worms (canker?) on trees (Red Oak & Cedar)

I sent the following note to the Mecklenburg Lawn & Garden (Horticulture) Help Desk, but without photo. This note has photos attached. Need help dealing with small green worms (fall cankerworm ?) that are on a red oak and a cedar (angel cedar or cedarus deodara ?) tree. They're stripping the leaf between the veins and the needles on entire branches. I understand banding is not especially effective and it's a bit late for this crop of worms. Can the trees be sprayed? If so with what? The worms move like typical inch worms, with a humping movement and have three pairs of legs on one end.

Mecklenburg County North Carolina

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer

What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible.