Snake plant - conjoined roots

Hi There, I bought a snake plant at the end of June. There were two small leaves that were light green in color and one larger one that was dark green in color. The smaller ones have grown and are now darker green, but the one that started out larger and dark green has not grown at all. There has always been a little point in the middle that looks like new growth, but it has not grown. It was very close to one of the other leaves, so I thought I would move them apart to see if that would help and noticed that the root of the two leaves were conjoined. The one that is not growing is on the right side of the pictures with more than one leaf. Is that normal? Should I cut them and separate them? And if so, should I put them in separate pots? What can I do to get the one that isn't growing, to grow? Should I put them in a bigger pot? I'm enjoying my plants and I have a lot to learn. Thank you for your guidance, Cynthia

Howard County Maryland

Snake Plants can be very slow growers, and the majority of houseplants slow or stop active growth as the days shorten until they resume in spring. Young leaves tend to be lighter in color than more mature leaves, both on Snake Plant and many other houseplants. Snake Plant leaves grow in a rosette, meaning that they share a point of connection at their base; they do not have separate leaf stalks ("petioles") like Ivy, and are instead structured a bit like an Aloe or bromeliad. Leaves do not need separating and in this instance the plant does't need repotting until it gets much older and crowds-out the pot. Snake Plant is one of several houseplants that does well when "pot-bound" and risks being more easily over-watered when in a very roomy pot with lots of extra soil.

Rhizomes - thickened roots that creep horizontally under the soil to sprout new plants - connect rosettes and will eventually fill the pot with leaf clusters, though this may take years. They can be severed and re-potted separately if you wish, but this is best done after the plant is more mature and has several mature rosettes.

Miri