maple tree disease??

What is happening to my maple tree? The bark is coming off near the bottom, as if it were being eaten by something. In other places, the bark seems also too ready to split vertically. I've noticed the latter phenomenon for a couple of years now, but only recently saw the bald spot at the botton, on the other side. What can I do about this? I don't want to lose this tree! Thanks.

Warren County Kentucky

From the photos that you submitted, it looks like you have borer injury feeding on the inside of the tree. Maples are thinly barked trees so it could have been caused from sunscald damage or string trimmer damage due to the location of the opening. Make sure to avoid contacting this area when operating a string trimmer. You may have a lawn or landscape service that does this service for you.

To read more about sunscald injury and what can be done, please see this link: https://forestry.usu.edu/news/utah-forest-facts/sunscald-injury-or-southwest-winter-injury-on-decidu...

If you have other questions, please contact Kristin Hildabrand at the Warren County Extension Service at (270) 842-1681.