Tomato chili sauce

I made some tomato base chili sauce and after processing air bubbles formed on top of the sauce in the jar. Is this safe to eat?

Sarasota County Florida

Good morning!
Thanks so much for submitting your question. I have a question for you: How was the product processed? (How long was it processed? What method was used for processing: Water bath canner or pressure canner? If so, what pressure?)

Without knowing any specifics about your product or processing method, bubbling usually indicates activity-meaning something is growing and therefore to be safe, I would advise you NOT to eat it. When in doubt, throw it out-because with low acid foods, Clostridium botulism can grow and create a toxin in the food. Interestingly, it is an anaerobic bacteria-which only grows where there is no air (thus, the jar provides the perfect environment). It is a paralyzing toxin and can result in death, so it isn't something you want to chance.

If you have additional questions, please contact your local Extension office. In Florida, there is one in every county!! Otherwise, you can submit additional questions here!

Hope this helps! Happy Canning!
-Katherine