How To Clean Strawberries

I grow strawberries in my home garden. Sometimes the dirt will not wash off of some if I wash them under a faucet. The dirt has to be taken off by hand one Berry by one. When there are a lot of berries this becomes tedious. Is there an easier way to clean them?

Charles County Maryland

There may not be, though you can try soaking the berries in a bowl of water for a few minutes before attempting to clean the stubborn ones; this will hopefully soften the stuck-on soil. You could also try using a soft-bristled toothbrush (one used only for produce cleaning as opposed to other uses) to help gently abrade the dirt off; strawberries are soft-skinned so this may or may not scratch the berries too, so you'll have to experiment depending on berry ripeness and bristle type. Using toothbrushes in this way can be particularly helpful on sturdier produce like carrots, squash, and surprisingly, tomatoes.

For future seasons, you can try using straw or newspaper underneath the edges of the strawberry plants so the fruits don't directly contact the soil.

Miri