Trasnplanting lily turf, pachysandra, and hosta

We have well established pachyandra, last week I transplanted some to a new bed. I dug out a ball of soil and plants about as much as I could lift with a shovel and two hands. I then replanted the whole ball together. Should I break up each large grouping and plant them a few stems at time? We have well established lily turf liriope. I cut and dug big clumps and transplanted the big clump together. I then replanted the whole ball together. Should I break up each large grouping and plant them a few shoots at time?

Anne Arundel County Maryland

You can split the Pachysandra into smaller clumps as you plant, yes; it will take longer to fill-in between clumps but the trade-off is it covers a larger area in the end. Keep an eye out for weeds until the gaps fill in, however; pull any you find out by hand or use a hoe carefully if needed.

Both Clumping Lilyturf (Liriope muscari) and Spreading/Creeping Lilyturf (Liriope spicata) can be divided into smaller clumps when re-planting as well. The former will grow into a larger clump over time, and the latter will spread more indefinitely until it fills-in any gaps, like the Pachysandra.

You do not have to split either, but it's a useful way to spread-out the planting faster than having it spread on its own. It's also handy to propagate more if you want to use it elsewhere in the yard. Use caution with Japanese Pachysandra (Pachysandra terminalis) and the Creeping Lilyturf if planting near wild wooded areas, as they may be invasive and out-compete wildflowers like our spring ephemerals.

Splitting mature Hosta clumps is just fine when transplanting them in autumn, though could also be done in spring when they are just emerging and beginning new growth.

Miri

Thank you so much for the help!