Annual experience with this plant

Every year this perennial (Monkshood??) starts off with a bang. Lush. Green. By late summer leaves get crispy from low to high. Few blooms open before the plant is toast. I have it in 2 places. Both quite full sun. I tried to water it more faithfully this summer thinking perhaps it was getting too dry. Suggestions?

Kalamazoo County Michigan

Interesting! I have read that Monkshood has sensitive roots - sensitive to soil moisture (moist/well drained/not soggy), compaction and any kind of disturbance. These plants are also slow to really get their roots established, which can make them more susceptible to environmental stressors. What you are seeing could be a reaction to the hot temps we have experienced previously in summer, even with the additional water. When it comes to light, morning sun and afternoon shade is ideal. Having the roots shaded may also help maintain the moisture and protect them from drying out a bit more.

You can read more about cultivating this plant here: http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/homegardening/scene8d7a.html

Thank you for using Ask an Expert!