How to create/sustain a meadow

We live in Little Switzerland, elevation 3,500. Our "front yard" is a large sloped expanse that the previous owners always mowed.That seemed a waste to me, as I want to encourage a more natural ecosystem with natives and pollintors. This past spring/summer, we stopped mowing to encourage grasses and wildflowers to grow, which they did. This area is too large for us to "start from scratch." So how do we go about encouraging natives and getting rid of invasives? From the photo you can see we have had a series of wildflowers from spring to fall, so I think it has been successful. But also we're seeing lots of sassafras popping up, and other Shrubs. I need guidance on how to manage this. Do we dig up the sassafras? What other plants do we want to encourage or discourage?. Should I spend the money on wildflower seed to spread this fall? When should we mow the meadow this fall? I have a million questions. Can an extension agent come look at the meadow and give us some advice? Looking forward to any help I can get! Thanks!

McDowell County North Carolina

I will be happy to make a visit. Please call 828-652-8104 so we can schedule a visit. Our hours are 8:30 a.m to 12 p.m., 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thank you.