Struggling Maple Tree

Hello, I have an established maple tree that is struggling. Many branches have leaves that looked scorched and one branch is full of dead leaves. Is there anything I can do to save it, or should I cut it down to prevent spread of a fungus? thank you

Ottawa County Michigan

The tree appears to be suffering from environmental stress. Due to the hot dry weather we've had this summer I would think it's sun scorch. Check soil moisture level around the drip line of the tree. Water the tree when dry, then top with 2-3 inches of mulch around tree to help preserve moisture. Do not pile mulch onto trunk. Wait until next year and, if branch doesn’t leaf out by June, then prune any dead sections off. If die back continues next summer you should submit another question at that time. Other issues to look for: trunk damage (splitting/cracking), planting depth (too deep/root girdling) and soil compaction. See the article for maple tree environmental stresses; published by MSUE.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/uploads/files/MapleEnvironmentalStresses_MSUE-1213.pdf