Campylobacter

Can we get our flock tested for campylobacter? My daughter was recently hospitalized and found to have campylobacter. The drs think it came from our backyard chicken flock. Would like to know for sure. If they do test positive, is there a treatment? Thank you! Lindsey Morris

Clackamas County Oregon

Campylobacter is associated with poultry but usually shows no clinical signs of disease in the birds. Typically, when Campylobacter causes disease in humans it is usually from consuming undercooked poultry products.

To my knowledge, there is no blood test to determine if birds are infected, it requires culturing of feces, preferably samples take from the ceca. Contact your local veterinarian to take the samples or contact the OSU Veterinary Diagnostic Lab 541-737-3261, they may be able to help. (usually they do necropsy to get the samples which required euthanizing the bird.)