No Fruit on Italian Honey Fig Tree

I have two varieties of fig tree beside my house, with a southern exposure. They are Italian Honey and Chicago Hardy. The Chicago Hardy tree has loads of fruit this year, but the Italian Honey is bare of fruit. I live in Anne Arundel county, and have had these fig trees growing for 4-5 years. I think for the first 2-3 years, the Italian Honey tree produced fruit, but none these past two growing seasons. Otherwise both trees are healthy with plenty of new growth, in addition to some old growth that survived last winter. What does the Italian Honey tree need to produce fruit?

Anne Arundel County Maryland

Hi- none of us has grown this cultivar, which apparently appears under a number of different names. It's a popular cultivar in the Northwest U.S. but should grow fine in MD. It should not require any special care compared to Hardy Chicago.

If it had fruited in earlier years it is possible that most of the tree was winterkilled last year and that the new shoots will not produce fruit this year. Usually, in these situations, the tree will start to produce fruits but not in time to ripen properly. Fig trees in MD produce their fruit on second-year wood or shoots arising from older wood. Squirrels will grab near-ripe to ripe figs but you would have seen the figs developing.

Protecting the plants over the winter will help assure fruit production next year:
https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/figs
Jon