I didn’t cut back 1st year plants

I live just east of minneapolis out in the country. I planted Fredonia, Warden, Concord grapevines in May of 2020. I didn’t cut them back. Now I am wondering if I should leave the strongest, biggest stalk and trim the rest. I would use insect tar where I cut. Is it too late in the year to do this? I have read that trimming is best done in late winter. I am hoping there are enough warm days for growth between now and late fall. Thank you.

Chippewa County Minnesota

Pruning of grapes should be done in March while they are still dormant. Pruning now will put energy into new growth when the plant energy needs to continue to go into establishing the root system. Keep watering your plant each week until the ground is frozen and clean up leaves and plant debris. In the spring prune the plant as though it is it’s first year. The link below has specifics about growing grapes including first year and subsequent pruning. https://extension.umn.edu/fruit/growing-grapes-home-garden#pruning-986013