What are these small flying bugs?

Hello - I’ve lived in my house for 5 years and for the first time this summer I’ve experienced 2 insect problems in my bathroom. First was what I believe were fungus gnats even though there are no plants anywhere in the area. Now I’m having an awful problem with what looks like a small fly with a short life span because there are usually at least a dozen dead ones every day. Will you please help me identify these? They usually congregate at the window but then end up through out the bathroom and slightly into nearby rooms. The only things different I can think of are: there was a mouse trap set by an exterminator near the outside of the window and two, there’s an open drain from the sink because of a plumbing problem I’m having trouble getting repaired. I’ve taped over the sink hole and stuffed paper towels in the open crook under the sink. Please help! Thank you!!

Oakland County Michigan

These are drain flies and likely related to the plumbing problem. Drain flies are attracted to moisture and commonly live in pipes or drains. Hopefully, fixing the plumbing problem will cause the flies to go away. In the meantime, you could try pouring boiling water down the drain periodically for a short-term fix. This explains a bit more about drain flies: https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef615