Crab Grass Eradication

How can I best eradicate the healthy crop of crabgrass I currently have in my lawn? I've had minimal success spraying with Weed-B-Gon with the crabgrass removal additive. Are their other more effective products a homeowner could use? What is a better time to spray the lawn to kill off the crabgrass: in the morning while it is still wet with dew or later in the day once the dew has evaporated? Thank you, John Lemanski 651-738-2656

Washington County Minnesota

Because crabgrass is an annual, it will die without treatment after the first frost. Although crabgrass killers can be applied now, several applications may be needed to get results and the sight of dead and dying crabgrass is unlikely to improve the appearance of your lawn. However, if you decide to proceed, the following information may be useful:

Many authorities recommend applying a pre-emergent herbicide in spring to control crabgrass.