Can I freeze and then oven dry figs?

Hello. I have an abundance of figs. I'm not keen on having an oven on low with the door ajar for 8 to 24 hours while the air conditioning in running, so what do you think about freezing figs whole, and then oven-drying them when the weather turns cold?

Anne Arundel County Maryland

Hi and thank you for your question.

It seems doable to freeze and then dry your figs at a later time, but you may encounter some quality issues, such as freezer burn prior to drying.

I would take a look at what the National Center for Home Food Preservation suggests for freezing/drying figs. https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/factsheets/preserving_figs.html

It may be easier to prep your figs for drying prior to freezing. This would include possibly removing the skin via blanching and cutting figs in half based on the size.

If you do freeze your figs, you'll want to thaw them out in the refrigerator prior to drying to cut down on drying time, as a food safety precaution. This may also help remove some liquid to, to reduce your overall drying time.

I hope this information helps.